The National Spatial Plan (GNSP) provides the strategic reference framework for sustainable territorial development for the next 15 years, in order to ensure balanced economic and social national development, responsible management of natural resources, environmental protection, all while ensuring the rational land use. The GNSP is introduced not only as fulfillment of a legal obligation, but also as a prerequisite to achieveing the governmental program objectives to enhance citizens’ welfare and national economic growth by reducing inequalities, strengthening the strategic partnership with neighboring countries and implementation of policies that foster competitiveness of economic sectors, thus ensuring integration in the European Union.
GNSP Albania 2030 is the highest-level instrument of territorial planning in Albania, which addresses planning issues in an integrated manner, considering the Albanian territory as a whole. Based on its principles, objectives and specifications, details will be provided in terms of the lower hierarchy plans, national sectoral plans (GNSP), detailed plans for areas of national importance (DPANI), regional development plans (RDP), sectoral plans at the regional level (SPRL), local general plans (LGP) and any other territorial planning instrument stemming from the development needs.
This document prepares the ground for the harmonization of sectorial and cross-sectoral policies, which have an impact or associated effects on the territory, structures and balances urban and rural developments, and provides a reliable climate for long term investments.
The GNSP is presented at a key moment for the territorial reorganization of Albania as an instrument supporting and enabling the qualitative implementation of the administrative territorial reform. It constitutes a key platform for the new regions and municipalities in the drafting of their regional and local plans.
The need for the GNSP formulation is further highlighted within the framework of coordination for successful implementation of the objectives of the Government of the Republic of Albania1, such as:
• Increase of the EU fund absorbing capacity and implementation of regional development initiatives as a vital step toward integration;
• Strategic link with the neighbors as the road to national economic recovery, guaranteeing the efficiency of major infrastructure and economic regional investments and the representation of Albania as a model and peace and stability factor in the region;
• Implementation of an economic, territorial and governing model at multiple levels, which reduces disparities ensures diversity and economic independence in a sustainable manner, ensures the self-recovery capacity of the Albanian economy, promotes the economy of knowledge and innovation, and converges with the European economy, while encouraging the Albanian economy toward progress;
• Strengthening of sectors to increase GDP and employment in becoming key to sustainability, adaptive and self-recovery capacity and the presentation of Albania as an important link within the regional and international development network. Sectors such as energy, agriculture, tourism, some extracting and processing industries, should not compete among themselves for resources, but should be complementary, enabling the ecosystem to provide services in a sustainable manner and contribute to the enhancement of knowledge and innovation as an engine of the future;
• Protection of natural resources in function of the independence of sectors, and economic and social independence of the whole territory.